I read some comments on Racerfans.com about how the streaming was terrible and my take on it is that they may be putting out a stream that is too high of quality for the servers. I will try to bring it to the attention of those in charge but I will say they had the stream up from OVCsports.com during the game and it ran fine.
Anyways, on to the game.
Murray State held the Tigers to just 28% from the floor and although the game was much closer than the final score, the Racers never trailed.
The lead was cut to 4 with only 8 minutes to play in the game but from that point on Murray State outscored the Tigers 23-6. The Racers forced TSU into 5 turnovers during that span and allowed only 2 field goals.
For the most part, Murray State kept the Tigers go to guy, Robert Covington, in check. The player who torched Murray State last year, was held to just 11 points on 3 of 12 shooting.
- There were a lot of fouls last night. 24 for Tennessee State and 17 for Murray State. 3 Tigers fouled out, Cyphers had 4 fouls and Green had 3.
- Ed Daniel had one of his best games of the season. Ed scored 18 points to go along with 10 rebounds and 6 blocks. His spin move and jump shot with just over 4 and a half minutes to play extended the Murray State lead to 8. It was a huge basket as tsu was eyeing a comeback and it started what would be a huge Murray State run to close out the game.
- Brandon Garrett is still on a tear. BG collected a double-double of his own. In scoring 4 big points off of offensive boards, Garrett continues his role as the garbage man.
- Dexter Fields has had better offensive games but something that doesn't show up in the stat book is the way he helped shut down TSU on the other end of the court. When guarding Robert Covington he rarely made a mistake and held TSU's biggest scoring threat to just 11 points.
- Isaiah Canaan was left wide open in the corner off of an inbounds play. It was as open as IC3 had been in quite some time and he made them pay by knocking down the three to extend the lead to 7. How anyone could lose Isaiah on defense is beyond me. Sip was also on the receiving end of what could be construed as a cheap shot from Kellen Thornton, but since we won I'll leave it alone. Isaiah scored 16 points and dished out 4 assists.
- Stacy Wilson did not get into double figures for the first time in 4 games. He did hit one three on only two attempts. He finished with nine points.
- Jeffery Moss is always good for at least one three a game but last night Moss knocked down a pair of triples and finished with 8 points. Because of Stacy Wilson getting into foul trouble Moss played 3 more minutes that Wilson.
- Latreze Mushatt scored 4 points and grabbed three boards in his 20 minutes of play.
- CJ Forde is starting to look more comfortable out on the floor. He only played 3 minutes but for the second straight game had a nice move to the basket and finished.
With the win Murray State improved to 18-5 and 9-2 in league play. I know it isn't 23-0 but through the first 23 games of this season that is a pretty impressive record.
With Louisville losing last night, Murray State has the least amount of losses of D1 teams in the state.